Bible-based literacy project
To promote basic literacy, as well as Bible literacy, especially among children in the foundation phases of education through Bible-based literacy material.
- Basic education in South Africa is inadequate. A recent study proved that South Africa is experiencing a reading crisis. The study found that four out of five Grade 4 learners’ reading ability was lower than the internationally recognised benchmark. South Africa came last out of 50 countries surveyed in the Progress in International Reading Literacy Study (Pirls).
- Thousands of children in poor areas are not exposed to literacy in the same way as privileged children and they often start their school careers at a disadvantage.
- After thorough research, the Bible Society developed Bible-based literacy material to promote basic reading and writing skills.
- The three booklets, My first Bible Do and Learn Book, My 2nd Bible Do and Learn Book and My 3rd Bible Do and Learn Book are now available in all 11 official languages. The development and testing of a third booklet are currently underway.
- Various schools make the material available with the approval of foundation phase divisions of education departments. It is also used in pre-primary schools and even Sunday schools.
- Any person who can read can, with the help of the accompanying manual and flashcards, help others to master these basic skills.
- Suitable partners (churches, organisations and individuals) help with the implementation of the project.
- The booklets are made available free of charge to schools and groups that cannot afford it. In 2019, some 170 495 booklets were distributed. This means that thousands of children have had access to these materials.
- While children, some who come from underprivileged households, master the necessary reading and writing skills, they will also hear about Jesus and the Bible from an early age.
- Many children who receive the booklets come from families where the parents cannot read either. The children take their booklets home and may teach their parents to read.
How can you help?
Every R100 received will ensure that enough copies of the literacy material are made available free of charge in 2020.
Make a difference. Be a sower of hope.
* Please use reference code: 1533