To supply two million Bibles, over and above our general annual Bible distribution, as well as two million sets of Bible-based literacy booklets to those in need as part of our bicentenary celebrations in 2020. This will help to alleviate Bible poverty and address the literacy need in our country.
- Recent research shows that there is a need for 23 million Bibles in South Africa.
- Many households may have only one Bible and need more for the members of the household. In South Africa, 5% of Christian households do not have a Bible at all.
- Unemployment is a socio-economic problem worldwide. It is also a major challenge in South Africa, with its national unemployment rate of 29,1%. In some communities, it is as high as 60%. South Africa is among the top 20 countries in the world with the highest unemployment rates.
- South Africa is among the top 20 countries in the world with the highest unemployment rates. According to the latest figures, 27,2% of the economically active population of South Africa is unemployed.
- Basic education in South Africa is inadequate. A recent study proved that South Africa is facing a massive literacy problem. The study found that four out of five Grade 4 learners’ reading ability was lower than the internationally recognised benchmark.
- The Bible is placed in the hands of people who desperately need it, but who are unable to afford it.
- The power of the Living Word will bring hope and assurance of a brighter future.
- Children, many of whom come from underprivileged households, will master the necessary reading and writing skills, while also hearing about Jesus and the Bible from an early age.
- Many children who receive the literacy booklets come from families where the parents cannot read either. The children take their booklets home and may teach their parents to read.
How can you help?
R200 000 000 is needed to fund this project that runs until 23 August 2021. Every R100 received will help to distribute one Bible plus a set of two Bible-based literacy booklets.
Make a difference. Be a sower of hope.
* Please use reference code: 2020