Bibles for prisoners
To provide Bibles to prisoners free of charge. This is done through the Directorate of Spiritual Care of the Department of Correctional Services and other approved organisations who have access to the prisoners.
- There are 235 prisons in South Africa where approximately 162 000 prisoners are housed. These prisons are often places without hope.
- Problems are the order of the day:
- Overcrowding causes serious crises in the prisons, there are only 118 572 beds available.
- Infectious diseases are common, among other things, HIV/Aids.
- Violations of human rights also occur, for example violence by and against prisoners.
- The Bible brings hope and therefore the Bible Society allocates funds for free Bibles for prisoners annually.
- The Directorate of Spiritual Care of the Department of Correctional Services manages the distribution of these Bibles that become the property of the prisoners.
- Starting this year, part of the Bible Society’s donation will be made available to organisations like Kairos Prison Ministries and World Hope Ministries. Prisoners will receive Bibles at the completion of courses offered by these organisations.
- In 2019, 19 628 prisoners received a Bible of their own thanks to this Bible Society project.
- The Bible brings comfort and hope to those who have been deprived of their freedom.
- The Bible can make a contribution in the rehabilitation process and encourage prisoners to live crime free after serving their sentences.
How can you help?
R500 000 is needed to make Bibles available to prisoners in 2020.
Make a difference. Be a sower of hope.
* Please use reference code: 1504