Bibles for prisoners
To supply free Bibles to the Department of Correctional Services for distribution among prisoners.
- Prisons in South Africa are places where the approximately 161 000 prisoners who find themselves there are quite often without hope.
- Problems are the order of the day:
- Overcrowding causes serious crises in the prisons, there are only 119 000 beds available.
- Infectious diseases are common, among other things, HIV/Aids.
- Violations of human rights also occur, for example violence by and against prisoners.
- The Bible brings hope and therefore the Bible Society allocates funds for free Bibles for prisoners annually.
- The Directorate of Spiritual Care of the Department of Correctional Services manages the distribution of these Bibles that become the property of the prisoners.
- In 2017, 15 871 prisoners received a Bible of their own thanks to this project.
- The Bible brings comfort and hope to those who have been deprived of their freedom.
- The Bible can make a contribution in the rehabilitation process and encourage prisoners to live crime free after serving their sentences.
How can you help?
R700 000 is needed to make Bibles available to prisoners in 2018.
Make a difference. Be a sower of hope.
* Please use reference code: 1504