Bibles for prisoners
To supply free Bibles to the Department of Correctional Services for distribution among prisoners.
- The Bible Society allocates funds to make free Bibles available to prisoners annually.
- The Directorate of Spiritual Care of the Department of Correctional Services manages the distribution of these Bibles which become the property of the prisoners.
- There are approximately 160 000 prisoners in South Africa. That means that for every 100 000 members of the population, 292 people are in prison.
- Overcrowding is one of the biggest challenges facing South African prisons. The prison capacity allocated to accommodate prisoners, is currently in excess of at least 40 000 inmates. In some prisons, up to 90 people share a single shower and toilet.
- According to a recent UN report, violence is rampart in most South African prisons and the safety of prisoners cannot be guaranteed.
- In 2016, 15 997 prisoners received a Bible thanks to this project.
- The Bible will bring comfort and hope to people who are imprisoned.
- The Bible can contribute to the rehabilitation process and encourage prisoners to lead a crime-free life when they have completed their sentences.
How can you help?
For 2017, some R700 000 is needed to make Bibles available for prisoners.
For less than the price of dinner and a movie, R200, you can become an agent of hope and make a difference in the life of a person who has lost all hope.
* Please use reference code: 1504